As we age, the breasts lose their elasticity and firmness. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight gain or loss also facilitates this process. The situation can be reversed with breast lift surgery. Defects in the chest area, which is an important factor in form and aesthetic appearance, restrict the person in choosing clothes and cause self-confidence problems. This situation, which can negatively affect sexual life, should be corrected with the appropriate surgical method.
Breast lift, which is also called mastopexy in medical literature, is a procedure applied to make the breasts firmer and more rounded. In this procedure, the breast is reshaped and tightened by removing excess skin. This process makes the appearance more dynamic and youthful. Factors such as age, heredity, weight gain and loss, pregnancy and breastfeeding lie on the basis of the deformations that occur in the breast area. Experiencing deformation in the breast is individual and occurs at different times. In people with a larger-than-normal chest form, sagging may occur at an early age. In addition, the wrong bra selection of the person is a situation that negatively affects the vitality of the breast. With the lifting surgery, the nipples are brought to the position they should be, excess skin is removed and the breast tissue is shaped.
Breast lift surgery can be applied to people of almost all ages. However, if the person has a plan to lose excess weight or give birth, this procedure should be postponed until later in order to protect the breast tissue. It is a procedure that can be applied to every woman over the age of 18 who does not have any health problems and is in a health state that can handle anesthesia.
Breast lift surgery is performed using several different procedures. The procedure to be applied is determined by the size, shape and degree of sagging of the person's breasts. After this determination, the patient is given a date of surgery, and in this process, the patient is asked to quit his routine medications and smoking. Smoking should be stopped at least 4 weeks before. The procedure generally includes the following steps:
- Previous operations and regularly used drugs are questioned in detail.
- Ultrasound and/or mammography examinations are required after assessing the findings an operation date is offered.
- The operation is performed under general anesthesia. In the surgery, the nipples are taken to the designated area and the breast tissue shaping process is applied.
- Tissue removal for large breasts and silicone prosthesis application for small breasts.
- After the procedure, the patient is discharged on the same day, depending on everything being in order.
The procedure usually takes 2 hours. However, this period varies according to the deformation of the breast, the size of the breast and the skin type of the person.
It is important that patients who want to have breast lift surgery share their expectations and complaints in detail with their doctor before the procedure. In addition, people who are planning to give birth should postpone the surgery until after the birth. The procedure does not prevent the person from getting pregnant, but breasts that have been lifted may experience re-deformations after pregnancy. Therefore, the operation should be performed after delivery.
There are some points to be considered after the surgery. How the patient goes through this process and what he pays attention to largely determine the success of the procedure. The conditions waiting for the patients after the procedure and the things to be considered are as follows:
- Feeding and standing up can be done 3 hours after the procedure.
- The patient can take a shower on the 2nd day after the procedure. However, the doctor's approval must be obtained in this regard.
- The patient should go for a check-up and get a dressing done 3 days after the operation.
- Heavy physical activities should be avoided during the first 3 weeks. At the end of this period, exercises that do not require chest and arm movements can be performed. In this process, a sports bra that fully grasps the breasts should also be used.
- In the 3rd and 6th months following the surgery, the patient is called for control and it takes 3 months for the breasts to take their final shape.
- One year after the procedure, breast tissue is examined with ultrasound and/or mammography.
- Elastic bandage or surgical bra should be used on thin clothes for 3-4 weeks after the surgery. After a certain period of use, the patient can switch to the use of soft and supportive bras.
- Some people's chest skin may be very dry after the procedure. In such a situation, the area should be moisturized several times. However, moisturizer should not be applied to the stitched area.
- After the procedure, there may be a loss of sensation on the nipples and chest. This loss of sensation usually lasts up to 6 weeks. However, it should be noted that this period will be different for each patient.
Will there be any scars after breast lift surgery?
Breast lift surgery is an application that leaves scars, although a very small scar, like any surgery performed with an incision. However, these remaining traces are not obvious unless carefully looked at.
Is there any loss of sensation after breast lift surgery?
A temporary loss of sensation may occur after the procedure. However, in the months following the procedure, the breast and nipple area regain their former sensitivity.
Is non-surgical breast lift possible?
Breast lift methods are researched by those who want to remove the deformation in their breasts, and non-surgical applications are in the first place of the researched topics. Breast lift is not a condition that can be performed without surgery. Because, anatomically, there is no connection between the position of the breast tissue and the chest muscle. Therefore, a surgical procedure is required for breast lift.
Can those who have breast lift surgery breastfeed?
The glands that produce milk are protected during the surgery and no action is taken to prevent the person from breastfeeding in the future.
What is the price range of breast lift surgery?
The price range of breast lift surgery differs according to the procedure applied, the type of treatment required and the general condition of the patient.